General Service Medal GSM 1918-1962 GVI
General Service Medal GSM 1918-1962 GVI was awarded to military and RAF personnel for numerous campaigns and operations that fell short of full-scale war. It did not cover areas already catered for in the Africa and India general service medals. The George V crowned and robed bust was used only on the medal for Northern Kurdistan in 1931.
Date: 1918 – 1962
Branch of Service: Army and RAF
Clasps are always awarded with this medal.
This particular medal has George VI crown, denoting the award was made during his reign. Please see the Elizabeth II version for those awarded after 1952.
Campaigns: Minor campaigns 1918 to 1962.
Branch of Service: Army and RAF.
Ribbon: Purple with a central green stripe.
Original Metal: Silver.
- SE Asia 1945-1946
- Bomb and Mine Clearance 1945-1949
- Bomb and Mine Clearance 1945-1956
- Palestine 1945-1948
- Mention in Despatches (MiD) bronze oak leaves (pre 1920)
- Mention in Despatches (MiD) bronze oak leaf (post 1920)
- King’s Commendation for Brave Conduct (KCBC) bronze oak leaf
- King’s Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air (KCVSA) bronze oak leaf