NATO ISAF Medal Miniature.
Date: 2003 –
Branch of Service: Personnel serving under Nato command
Awarded mainly for service in support of NATO operations in Afghanistan.
Takes similar precedence to the General Service Medal or other campaign medals, in chronological order of award.
Numerals worn on the ribbon denote multiple tours. Please note that since 2003 MID, QCB, QCBA and QCVS’s may be worn on NATO, UN and European Community & Union medals.
Instituted: December 1994.
Campaigns: Any theatre or area of operations in the service of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
Branch of Service: NATO military and service personnel.
Generic Ribbon: NATO blue with narrow white stripes having central metal threads.
Specific Ribbon: For engagements in NATO-led Article 5 operations (gold thread): Eagle Assist (central stripe), Active Endeavour (two stripes towards the edges), Non-Article 5 (central stripe with silver thread, from January 2011 two stripes towards the edges with silver thread denote operations) with clasps.
Description: (Obverse) the NATO star emblem set in a wreath of olive leaves;
(reverse) the title NORTH ATLANTIC TREATY ORGANIZATION and the words IN SERVICE OF PEACE AND FREEDOM in English and French.
- Mention in Despatches (MiD) single bronze oak leaf (pre 1994)
- Mention in Despatches (MiD) silver oak leaf (post 1994)
- Queen’s Commendation for Brave Conduct (QCBC) single bronze oak leaf (pre 1994)
- Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air (QCVSA) single bronze oak leaf (pre 1994)
- Queen’s Commendation for Bravery (QCB) silver laurel leaves (post 1994)
- Queen’s Commendation for Bravery in the Air (QCBA) silver wings (post 1994)
- Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service (QCVS) silver oak leaves (post 1994)